CREATE A GARAGE THAT'S TOUGH AND FIRE PROTECTED
For garages, major considerations are that they're tough and durable and have fire protection.
As most garages are multi-purpose areas such as workshops, hobby rooms or for equipment storage, they usually suffer a high level of wear and tear. You can protect wall finishes or linings from damage by installing a GIB® Tough System which provides resistance to accidental impact and wear and tear.
In the event of fire, having a GIB® Fire Rated System installed can isolate the garage from the rest of your house and give more time to get the fire under control.
Download our checklists for your new build or renovation project and use them when discussing your options with your builder or architect.
Tips for your project
- In most modern homes the garage is simply an extended room containing the laundry or used as a children's play area. For solid results, when building, install GIB Toughline® as your primary plasterboard in this room.
- Install a GIB® Fire Rated System to isolate the garage from the rest of your house in the event of a fire.
- If you are renovating, first remove the old linings. Take the opportunity to add or relocate power points.
- Check the condition of plumbing and framing.
- We recommend solid core doors, solid timber trims and specific paint systems that provide added protection from marks, scratches and dents.
- For new or existing homes, we strongly recommend installing smoke detectors.